Theatrical & Media Makeup Artistry is a rapidly developing profession. The continuing expansion of both the media and entertainment industries present increasing career opportunities while new demands challenge the profession to high levels of creativity and expertise.
Make-up artistry career opportunities exist in the fields of cosmetic sales, film, television, photography, theatre, fashion and the print-media. Graduates work as professional make-up and special-effects artists. Freelance or contract employment in media productions and presentations is common.
Graduates are also qualified in skin treatments which they can offer on a fixed employment basis in salons. The work is varied, interesting and rewarding.
This course covers the skills required to perform effective make-up techniques suitable for various professional media, fashion, retail, theatre and stage productions.
In order to demonstrate competence in make-up techniques, students produce a portfolio of work covering a wide range of topics. This portfolio is developed throughout the course with guidance from tutors.
The course also includes a module on Skin Treatments which will allow students to acquire professional skills in the manual facial elements of beauty therapy, including eyelash and brow tinting.
Learners are prepared for the following:
- CIBTAC Diploma in Photographic & Media Make-Up
- CIBTAC Award in Body Art Design
- CIBTAC Award in Camouflage
- CIBTAC Certificate in Facial Services
- FETAC Retail Selling (Component Award)
*This course will be re-structured in 2014/2015, please check the College website for updated information.
- Make Up Plan/Work Sheet
- Make-Up Techniques
- Media Make-Up
- Fashion and Photography Make-Up
- Theatrical Make-Up
- 3 Dimensional Make-Up
- High Definition Make-Up
- Special Effects
- Fantasy Make-Up
|Duration||1 year – full time September to May|
|Number of places||96|
|Number of contact hours per week||20 approx between 9:00am-6:00pm|
|Timetable contact||5 days|
- Industry Training Courses
- Air Brushing make-up for the face
- Skin Care
- Study Skills
- Career Advice and CV Preparation
Assessment and Certification
- Learners are required to produce portfolios of work covering a wide range of techniques and demonstrating artistic flair, good imagination and creative skills.
- Examinations take place in April and May.
This course is certified by the Confederation of International Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology (CIBTAC).
- Retail selling is certified by FETAC.
CIBTAC apply a rigid set of standards governing attendance, learning and examinations.
Graduates who complete this course may apply to the following course in SCD:
Graduates work in theatre, film, television and on a range of media productions including editorials and high fashion (catwalk) as professional make-up artists. The Skin Treatment Diploma enables graduates to gain employment in beauty salons and/or as freelance therapists/make-up artists.
Applicants should have achieved five passes on ordinary level. LCA applicants should submit details of credits awarded.
Others including Mature Students
Applicants without the entry requirements are welcome and will be assessed individually.
Qualified therapists are granted exemptions from subjects already certified.
There is a very high demand for places and early application is advised. Applicants will have an advisory meeting to offer guidance and to ensure course suitability. Places will be offered, on a first come basis, following the outcome of the personal Advisory Meeting, subject to the applicant meeting the entry requirements of the course. Applicants will also be advised on course costs, uniform, product kits and registration details.
- At course commencement, students are required to pay for books, exams, €200 PLC Government Levy (unless exempt), a Student Services fee and where applicable professional body registration fees. There are no tuition fees for EU students.
- Students will be required to purchase certain items including a uniform and product kits.