The Certificate in Creative Multimedia course is aimed at learners who have a creative ability and who enjoy working with digital technologies. Learners will acquire strong practical skills in web design, image editing, graphic design, animation and digital publishing.
A ‘hands on’ training approach is used. The course is modeled on the working environment, requiring learners to create various interactive multimedia designs to a given specification within a specific time frame. This prepares and equips learners for a smooth transition into the digital multimedia industry.
The Certificate in Creative Multimedia will equip participants with the skills to:
- Plan, design, and build websites based on the fundamental principles of usability, accessibility, information architecture and SEO optimisation using XHTML and HTML 5, CSS3 Style sheets and Flash technology.
- Plan and create banner advertisements for websites using Flash.
- Design and manipulate photographs and vector graphics for web and print using the latest Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 software.
- Understand the design process, distinguish between the elements & principles of graphic design and apply them to design briefs across different medium.
- Create print material using digital publishing software for publication documents such as reports, brochures, promotional items and package designs.
Job opportunities exist in specialist multimedia and web design companies. There is also a range of exciting opportunities available in areas such as advertising, publishing, telecommunications, education and training.
The course is structured so that the student will develop expertise in two related areas: Creative Multimedia and Web Design.
- Interactive Authoring (Flash)
- Digital Imaging 1 (Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Graphic Design 1
- Digital Publishing and Presentation Skills (InDesign)
Students spend considerable time in excess of timetabled hours on research, study and project work.
|Duration||1 year – full time September to May|
|Number of places|
|Number of contact hours per week||20|
- Study Skills
- Career Advice and CV Preparation
- Enterprise Workshops
Assessment and Certification
The course is certified by the Institute of Commercial Management (ICM), which is an international examining body. ICM membership registration and examination fees are payable in January.
Assessment is based on assignments and projects submitted during the year.
Repeats, will, at the College’s discretion, be facilitated in the next academic year.
Students can progress to the Diploma in Creative Multimedia or the
Diploma in Creative Multimedia & Web/App Development in SCD.
Five passes, including English, on ordinary level papers.
Leaving Certificate Applied and Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme
Applicants should submit details of achievements.
Mature Students (including VTOS and BTEA)
Applicants without the required Leaving Certificate requirements will be considered on the basis of experience, overall ability and aptitude.
Other Requirements/Advisory Meeting
Applicants should have an aptitude for creativity and design, a keen interest in the various media formats and basic computing skills.
Applicants will have an advisory meeting to offer guidance and to ensure course suitability. Applicants will also be advised on course costs and registration details.
There are no tuition fees for EU students. At course commencement, students are required to pay for books, €200 PLC Government Levy (unless exempt), a Student Services fee and professional body registration and examination fees.